Operating as an independent rehabilitation facility, Dzherelo Centre is committed to consultation, rehabilitation treatment, education and counseling of both children with disabilities and their families. The process includes early referral, assessment and implementation of an individualized treatment plan by an integrated team of qualified professionals. The process also includes follow-up after entry into the regular school system. The aim of Dzherelo Centre, a sanctuary in the Lviv region for both children and their families, is to facilitate optimal functioning and integration into society.
Our vision is one in which children with disabilities in Ukraine are given the opportunity to realize their fullest potential, both physically and intellectually, in a society that accepts as well as respects, their rights and appreciates their unique gifts.
How it all started
Dzherelo Centre is a pioneer in its field not only in the city of Lviv, but in all of Ukraine. The children’s rehabilitation centre has its roots in Nadiya. (Nadiya is the Ukrainian word for hope.) Frustrated not only by the lack of support from government and society, parents of children with cerebral palsy living in Lviv and its environs created their own support organization called the Nadiya Association. Having organized themselves, it was only natural these same parents began planning for the future of their children. And so Dzherelo Centre, founded by parents of children with cerebral palsy, opened its doors in 1993 to provide rehabilitation for children with physical and developmental disabilities. Today more than 200 children with disabilities take part in its daily programs. The centre continues to look to the future for ways to extend its services to some 2,000 disabled children in the surrounding area.
What We Offer
Dzherelo Centre offers not only exceptional services free of charge for children, their families and members of the community at large, but also supports the professionals who work with them. A leader and innovator in children’s rehabilitation in Ukraine, Dzherelo Centre is one of just a few groups in the country able to provide training for staff from other Ukrainian institutions and organizations determined to create a similar environment for disabled children in their own regions.
Government assistance for rehabilitation centres in Ukraine has been minimal. Dzherelo Centre aims to be a model for Ukraine in children’s rehabilitation therapy and special education. Dzherelo Centre has two immediate goals:
- Expand rehabilitation services and education programs for children with disabilities enrolled at the centre
- Complete the construction of the centre’s fully accessible building, making Dzherelo Centre’s essential services and programs available to even more children
You Can Help
Construction, operation and continued development of Dzherelo Centre are possible mainly through the generous support of its benefactors. Over the years support has come from all over the world; The Netherlands, Germany, Great Britain and Canada. Canadian support has been specifically through Dzherelo’s partnership with the Children of Chornobyl Canadian Fund.
Your donations help to support:
Early Intervention & Child Development Programs
- Multidisciplinary approach provides diagnosis and intervention for infants, preschoolers and older children
- Social and mutual support to families
- Training for parents and caregivers to encourage development of motor and social skills
- Individualized therapeutic intervention that promotes the formation, development and restoration of gross and fine motor skills
- Training in self-care skills
- Provision of wheelchairs and other special aids for mobility
- Individualized education plans for children living with disabilities in a fully wheelchair accessible environment with access to alternative methods of communication
- Opportunities for integrated education within the local school system
- Field trips to theatres, museums, galleries and zoo
- Sports activities and youth programs
- Transportation to and from school
Activity Workshops / Youth Programs
- Computer training, art classes and a wide range of excursions, sponsored and provided by Dzherelo Centre, give young people with multiple disabilities not only opportunities for growth in self-confidence, creativity and general life skills, it also prepares and promotes Dzherelo attendees for their integration into society in general
- Social events held at the Dzherelo Centre in a congenial atmosphere, enable and encourage children attending Dzherelo to form mutual friendships with peers
- Dzherehlo Centre actively promotes and encourages programs that will assist young disabled people to realize their dreams